Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Receives FDA Approval of KHAPZORY™ (levoleucovorin) for injection
• Rescue after high-dose methotrexate therapy in patients with osteosarcoma.
• Diminishing the toxicity associated with overdosage of folic acid antagonists or impaired methotrexate elimination.
• The treatment of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer in combination with fluorouracil.
KHAPZORY is not indicated for the treatment of pernicious anemia and megaloblastic anemia secondary to lack of vitamin B12 because of the risk of progression of neurologic manifestations despite hematologic remission.
“KHAPZORY is the first levoleucovorin product approved by the
Spectrum is currently evaluating strategic options on the launch of KHAPZORY. Product supply will be available in January.
Important Safety Information for KHAPZORY
• KHAPZORY is contraindicated in patients who have had severe hypersensitivity to leucovorin products, folic acid, or folinic acid.
Warnings and Precautions
• Increased gastrointestinal toxicities with fluorouracil: Gastrointestinal toxicities, including stomatitis and diarrhea, occur more commonly and may be of greater severity and of prolonged duration. Deaths from severe enterocolitis, diarrhea, and dehydration have occurred in elderly patients receiving weekly d,l-leucovorin and fluorouracil. Do not initiate or continue therapy with KHAPZORY and fluorouracil in patients with symptoms of gastrointestinal toxicity until those symptoms have resolved. Monitor patients with diarrhea until it has resolved as rapid deterioration leading to death can occur.
• Drug interaction with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole: Concomitant use of d,l-leucovorin with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole for the acute treatment of Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia in patients with HIV infection increased treatment failure and morbidity.
• The most common adverse reactions (≥20%) in patients receiving high-dose methotrexate therapy with levoleucovorin rescue were stomatitis (38%) and vomiting (38%).
• The most common adverse reactions (>50%) in patients receiving levoleucovorin in combination with fluorouracil for metastatic colorectal cancer were stomatitis (72%), diarrhea (70%), and nausea (62%).
Leucovorin products increase the toxicity of fluorouracil.
Use in Specific Populations
Levoleucovorin is administered in combination with methotrexate or fluorouracil, which can cause embryo-fetal harm. Refer to methotrexate and fluorouracil prescribing information for additional information.
Please see full Prescribing Information for KHAPZORY available at KHAPZORY.com
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals is a leading biopharmaceutical company focused on acquiring, developing, and commercializing drug products, with a primary focus in hematology and oncology. Spectrum currently markets six hematology/oncology drugs, and has an advanced stage pipeline that has the potential to transform the company. Spectrum's strong track record for in-licensing and acquiring differentiated drugs, and expertise in clinical development have generated a robust, diversified, and growing pipeline of product candidates in advanced-stage Phase 2 and Phase 3 studies. More information on Spectrum is available at www.sppirx.com.
Forward-looking statement — This press release may contain
forward-looking statements regarding future events and the future
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181023005463/en/
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Shiv Kapoor, 702-835-6300
Vice President, Strategic Planning & Investor Relations